Opened November 1942
Station 452 at Stoney Cross was one of several World War II airfields constructed in the New Forest on the southern coast of England. The hardcore base for the field came from the bomb-shattered homes of Southampton, 10 miles to the northwest. The airfield opened for operations in November 1942. Its three runways were used successively by many different units for many different purposes, first R.A.F. Hurricanes and Mustangs of the Army Cooperation Command, then Stirlings, Whitleys and Albermares training Horsa glider pilots, then United States Army Air Force P-38s supporting the D-Day invasion forces, then B-26 medium bombers bombing tactical targets ahead of the advancing front and finally R.A.F. Transport Command York and Dakota duties. The airfield closed in 1946.
After the war, the British Forestry Commission gradually restored the New Forest. The runways were broken up and the debris removed. The concrete--roadways, accommodation footings and aircraft parking--was pulled up and the rubble used as fill for new construction. By the year 2000, the New Forest bases had all but disappeared. All that remained was graffiti carved on trees by US aircrews and small sections kept intact as memorials.
The 387th Bombardment Group was stationed at Stoney Cross for about a month. It arrived July 18, 1944, and moved on to France on August 22.
Units assigned to Stoney Cross: